A growing number of American employees are having to care for their elderly parents. Caregiving may include taking extended periods of time off from work. The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993 addresses this need by providing some employees with up to twelve weeks of unpaid leave per year without fear of losing their jobs.
After reviewing the required resources for this discussion, please address each of the following questions:
- How has the passage of FMLA impacted the older population in the United States?
- How has FMLA reduced the challenges and stress associate with caregiving?
- How has FMLA not relieved the stress of caregiving?
- How has FMLA impacted your life?
- How might the U.S. government encourage more support for the caregivers of the elderly?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references