Agency and Concepts Paper
(November 20, 2021)
Students a practical experience with human services concepts with opportunities to research historical events, interview local agencies, assess overall service delivery, and develop their writing ability. A person will assess how they have achieved an accurate understanding of the social problems connected to human services. Critical thinking skills and learning to meet human needs are paramount to understanding the goals of human services. The expected level of course performance will be demonstrated by the ‘ ability to synthesize knowledge in this writing.
Part 1: Agency interview: Choose a person in a management/leadership and/or service delivery capacity within a human services agency , if they are working in Human Services currently, or someone outside of the class). use interview and other available resources such as agency website and related documents.
Part 2: include an overview of the agency/organization, policies, goals, challenges, funding, populations served, recipient protocol, geographical area, etc.
1. Include an overview of the history and goals of the human services field (in general, based on what you’ve read/learned in this course).
2. Include a discussion of the chosen agency’s organizational roles, goals, challenges, and strength-based concepts/successes, and cultural competency standards.
3. Discuss the target population served and protocol to receive services.
4. and discuss relevant policy/legislation and perceptions surrounding the target population served and social problems addressed.
5. Provide an assessment of your (persons) values/beliefs about the recipients of this agency.
6. Provide an overview of any media messages and attitudes regarding social class, public assistance, etc. and assess the impact of this on the population served by the agency.
7. Discuss the prevalent theories that guide and inform the services that the agency provides and the workers who provide them.
8. Assess the prominent ethical issues that this agency tends to encounter. Relate these to the NOHS ethical standards.
Other paper guidelines:
· Please add a separate cover page, abstract, and references section, per
Students with good writing skills may submit a detailed outline format. (9 pages)
· At least four citations from academic sources other than a textbook.
· In assessing your written work, attention will be given to what you say and how you say it: Style, grammar, organization, presentation, and content. Work that is not acceptable may be returned without a grade and you may be given an opportunity to resubmit with deducted points
· Include an overview of the history and goals of Human Services.
· Include an overview of the agency’s policies, goals, challenges, funding, and geographical area, etc.
· Discuss the population served, protocol to receive services, and perceptions of the populations served (including media messages and attitudes regarding social class, public assistance, etc.
· Include an overview of the policy legislations and the social problems addressed.
· Include a discussion and assessment of your perceptions, values and beliefs about recipients served at the agency.
· Discuss the prevalent theories that guide and inform the services that the agency provides.
· Assess ethical and/or unethical standards within the agency or discuss common ethical issues that the agency confronts with clients. Syntax/Mechanics (Writing Clarity & content developed).
· Facts Cited: Citations & Articles. References/Work cited page is properly formatted