Choose one of the following questions:
1. Using what you have learned about groups, organizations, and bureaucracies this week, compare and contrast two different groups or organizations of which you are a member. Describe the two groups. How do they differ in terms of leadership, membership, purpose, and activities? What is your role in the group? Provide an example and brief description of a social group in the news as well (within the last 3 months). Please include a link for the news piece but you are not required to provide a full citation.
2. Do you agree with Emile Durkheim that deviance is functional and is a necessary part of society? What functions might deviance provide? In your answer be sure to describe Durkheim's main thesis regarding the function of deviance. Think of a time when you used informal negative sanctions. To what act of deviance were you responding? Also share a recent example of deviance, focusing on the sociological definition, from a news story (within the last 3 months); please include a link for the article or video but a full citation is not required.
The Week 3 Forum meets the following course objectives:
- Apply a sociological perspective to the social world.
- Analyze contemporary social issues using the sociological imagination and use sociological theories and concepts to analyze everyday life.
- Identify and describe bureaucracies and formal organizations.
- Describe deviance and social control from a sociological perspective.