Discuss the following visual aids and the benefits and challenges they might present in an oral presentation. Also note which types of speaking situations for which they might be most appropriate and discuss why.
Poster Board – Discuss limitations and whether or not this visual aid meets professional expectations. What type of presenters might use this form of visual aid?
Video – Discuss the importance of length and problems you might anticipate before using this visual component of a presentation. What type of presenters might use this form of visual aid?
PowerPoint – Discuss strategies to avoid distractions within the PowerPoint (ex: can some transitions be more distracting than helpful?). What are the expectations regarding font, number of slides, length of content (ex: Should paragraphs of content be included? Why or why not?)? What type of presenters might use this form of visual aid?
Create an 8- to 10- slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation, then record a 5- to 7-minute video within Bongo™ giving your presentation. Your presentation should include the following:
- A description of what makes an effective listener
- An explanation of why listening skills are important for effective presentations
- A description of common symptoms of poor listening skills
- A description of at least two methods for improving one's listening skills
Write a 175- to 350-word reflection that contains responses to the following questions:
- What role do peer review and critique play in effective presentations?
- What are some constructive presentation and speech critique methods?
- How do you plan to implement your classmates' suggestions in future school or work presentations?
- How do you plan to incorporate the successful practices you have observed in your classmates' presentations into your future presentations?
- What are some effective group presentation methods or skills?