Review Chapter 11 and Chapter 12 in your textbook. Next, consider the following questions:
- What is the purpose of arbitration once a collective bargaining agreement has been implemented? How does it work?
- How should managers use the employee discipline process to support organizational goals, without running afoul of the labor agreement?
Write an essay that addresses these topics in detail. You should not be writing a question and an answer; rather, write an essay that describes your understanding of these subjects, with the questions above as prompts to help steer your thoughts. The result should be a post that stands on its own as an academic paper, not a Q&A from a classroom assignment. (This will be helpful to you as you work on your Final Paper later in the course, so doing good work now will save you time later on.)
Use in-text citations to show where you are applying or discussing content from your textbook. In addition, be sure to cite where you are applying or discussing content from external research that you decide to use, if any. (External sources are not required, but are likely to help your grade.) End your post with a References list that gives the full details about the sources. In-text citations and References should be formatted according to APA standards.
Share your initial post in this Discussion board by Thursday evening. Give substantive responses to at least two classmates' initial posts by Sunday evening. "Substantive" responses are not "Great post!" or "I like that you…" or "I agree…" type of reactions, but rather, thorough responses that include new connections to research, detailed examples from your own workplace experience, etc. Your classmates should always be learning something new from your responses.
Discussions will use the following Grading Rubric:
- 25% Initial Post Comprehension: Develops an initial post with clear point of view, using rich and significant detail to demonstrate mastery of the learning topic.
- 15% Initial Post Application: Utilizes course materials and/or independent research to support your points.
- 10% Initial Post Timeliness: Submits initial post by midnight on Thursday evening during the assigned week.
- 25% Follow–Up Substantive Comments: Provides substantive responses to at least two classmates' threads, adding new insights, research, and/or examples to further classmates' learning.
- 15% Writing: Writes posts and responses that are easily understood, clear and well organized, and with appropriate grammar and spelling.
- 10% Citations and References: Uses proper APA-style citation methods when referring to other sources, including assigned content.