Short Paper: Goodridge v. Department of Public Health
Due at the end of Unit 2
In this Short Paper, you will analyze the case in which the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court held that there is a right to same-sex marriage under the Massachusetts Constitution,Goodridge v. Department of Public Health, 440 Mass. 309 (2003). Go to Westlaw, and click on the “Law” tab. Enter the following citation in the “Find a Document by citation” box and click “Go”:
440 Mass. 309
Read this court opinion, then reread the case of Loving v. Virginia. How are the reasoning and rulings in these two case similar? How are they different? How does the concept of familial relationships relate to these two cases? Include the constitutional arguments made in the cases. Based on what you are learning in this unit, do you agree or disagree with the reasoning based on constitutional principles? As part of your analysis, it is fine to quote select portions of the opinion to make your point in answering the questions, but be sure to use quote marks to show the language you are quoting from the case). Explain the answers in your own words and do not simply copy your answers from the case. Your answers should be detailed and your Short Paper should be at least two pages long, 12-point font and double-spaced.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the Assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria:
- Length should be at least 2 pages, excluding cover page and references page
- Double spaced and 12-point font
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly establishedand sustained
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics
- Appropriate citation style should be followed
- More details can be found in the GEL-1.1 Universal Writing Rubric
Submit your paper to the Unit 2: Assignment Dropbox basket by the end of Unit 2
Your paper is due by the end of Unit 2.