The DSM diagnoses are applied to individuals. Symptomatic individuals are brought to health care providers and diagnostic labels are applied to them. However, our understanding of the psychological conditions individuals experience is enhanced if we keep in mind that various ages and populations are probably more sensitive to environmental conditions than others. Carefully selecting a diagnoses and ensuring that it is evident in the client will result in the most effective treatment.
For this assessment, you are asked to think critically about the current diagnostic system and the medical model of mental illness.
- Select a celebrity or famous individual who has been diagnosed with a disorder listed in the DSM-5.
- Describe the diagnosis, discussing each criterion the client fits and does not fit for that diagnosis from the DSM-5(which you should cite).
- Analyze the quality of their life living with this disorder.
- In what way has the disorder impeded or limited their success?
- In what way did it enhance their success?
- Find a journal article that discusses this disorder and analyze how the article's discussion of the diagnosis compares to the behaviors the individual displays?
- Analyze treatments for the diagnosis of the chosen individual and support why they would be recommended (one or both of these treatments should come from a current, peer-reviewed journal article).
- Discern how, as a professional in the field of psychology, you would use the information from the article to inform your professional behavior.
For this assignment, you are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Title page: Include your name, course, date, and instructor.
- Reference: DSM-5, textbook, two or more peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (sixth edition) style and formatting.
- Length of paper: 5–6 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Submit your paper to the assignment area for grading.